Berckmans Plantation in Augusta
The Berckman plantation house once occupied by Baron Berckman is owned today by the Augusta National Club House. The three-story home built in 1854 to serve as the home of indigo plantation owner Dennis Redmond, is believed to be the first concrete house built in the South. The walls were 18 inches thick! After the earthquake in Charleston, South Carolina during the late 1800s, several cracks were discovered in the walls. A Belgian horticulturist by the name of Baron Louis Berckmans purchased the 365-acre property in 1857 and formed a partnership with his son, Prosper Julius Alphonse, to establish Fruitland Nurseries. When the property was discovered in 1931, the charter for the nursery had long since expired.
Richmond County GA Genealogy Resources