By Jeannette Holland Austin
One of the earliest records in the region was that of William Maddox whose 1801 estate listed 100 acres of land adjoining Michael Maddox, William Watt and John Stewart. In 1870, Robert M. Bransford owned a tobacco house and land on Cut Bank Road. The house would have either been a shed or barn, where tobacco was stored.
Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, tobacco was the principal cash crop of the Virginia Colony, as well as the Carolinas. Large tobacco warehouses filled the areas near the wharves of new, thriving towns such as Dumfries on the Potomac, Richmond and Manchester at the fall line on the James River, and Petersburg on the Appomattox. After the Revolutionary War and the migration of families into the westward regions, the crop continued to be widely grown.
Buckingham County VA Genealogy Resources